Search for General Secretary
The Board of Directors is pleased to invite expressions of interest, from suitable individuals, for the position of General Secretary for Council for World Mission (CWM).
CWM seeks an inspirational, ecumenical and experienced General Secretary (Chief Executive Officer) with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and cross-cultural agility to lead this global organisation in deepening partnership with its stakeholders and living out its vision of fullness of life, through Christ, for all creation. The General Secretary will work with the Directors and Trustees to read the signs of the times and to discern God’s mission for CWM. The GS will lead the management team to align strategy with mission and to develop and implement programme and action plans to further the mission.
1. A visionary leader who understands and embodies the values of CWM; firmly grounded in and committed to God’s justice and peace
2. Ability to demonstrate a high level of theological understanding, ideally with a post-graduate level qualification. Qualifications and skills related to management or business administration are desirable.
3. Conversant with and confident in leading and contributing to theological discourse and solidarity action with ecumenical partners and people’s movements.
4. Commitment to CWM’s ethos of partnership and equal representation, resource sharing, empowerment of member churches, and ecumenical cooperation.
5. Ability to lead and motivate others and to foster productive working relationships with and among CWM member churches, Board members, member-representatives and staff colleagues.
6. Ability to think and plan strategically and to execute, analyse and problem-solve effectively.
7. Ability to adapt one’s leadership style to different circumstances cultures and peoples; and to manage diversity and promote equal opportunities across all areas of CWM constituency
8. Overall accountability for staff team deliverables and embodiment of CWM’s vision, values and ethos.
9. Excellent listening skills, approachability and trustworthiness.
10. The role is based in Singapore. However, Johannesburg or London may be considered.
11. Extensive global travel is required.
Council for World Mission is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity amongst its staff and its members, and does not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual’s race, colour, ancestry or national origin, disability, marital status, sexuality, age or gender. Due to the nature of the work of General Secretary, and purpose and ethos of a Christian mission organisation, it is a genuine occupational requirement that the job holder be a practising Christian.
For any questions related the position of General Secretary, please write to the Consultant on firstname.lastname@example.org