By Church of North India
The Church of North India as a United and Uniting denomination together is committed to announce the Good News of the reign of God inaugurated through death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in proclamation and to demonstrate in actions to restore the integrity of God’s creation through continuous struggle against the demonic powers by breaking down the barriers of caste, class, gender, economic inequality and exploitation of the nature.
The Church of North India is a part of One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, the Body of Christ, which He is building up out of persons of all generations and races. The Church of North India is what it is as a Church by reason of what it has received from God in Christ through bringing together into one life the several traditions of the Churches that have united to constitute it. This heritage is the fruit of the continuous working of God’s spirit in His Church in all ages from Apostolic times through the Reformation and down to our own day.
The following six churches united on November 29, 1970 in Nagpur, in a wonderful three-hour long Worship Service, under a huge specially raised tent to form The Church Of North India.
- The Council of Baptist Churches in Northern India
- The Church of the Brethren in India
- The Disciples of Christ
- The Church of India (formerly known as the CIPBC – Church of India, Pakistan, Burma and Ceylon)
- The Methodist Church (British and Australasian Conferences)
- The United Church of Northern India.
THE CHURCH OF NORTH INDIA IS A UNITED AND UNITING TOGETHER CHURCH, SPREAD ACROSS THE WHOLE OF INDIA EXCEPT FIVE SOUTHERN STATES AND THE SYNOD IS THE SUPREME, SUPERVISORY, LEGISLATIVE AND EXECUTIVE BODY OF THE CHURCH.
The Church of North India was inaugurated on 29 November, 1970 in Nagpur. The series of consultations, with a view to constitute a United Church in Northern India, began in 1929. Eventually on the “basis of negotiations” prepared by a series of Round Table Conferences, a plan of Church union was drawn up.
Mission programmes/ministries of the Church
Various mission programmes of the Church of North India such as:
- Spiritual Renewal
- Theological Education
- Children’s Concern – particularly PDS Hostels for the needy children
- Sunday School Programme
- Stewardship Ambassadors Ministry
- Sponsorships for Scholarship for Civil Services
- Women and Youth Concern
- Peace & Interfaith Concern
- Subaltern Concern (with the Dalit and tribal communities)
- Evangelism and Spiritual Revival
- Congregations renewal
- Restructuring the Structure
- Education for Liberation and Social Inclusion
- Building Communities of Healing and reconciliation
- Protection of life and livelihood for the fullness of life
- The Relation to the Church Universal
To carry forward the initiatives focusing on the mission priorities of the Church of North India.
- Kindly pray for the leadership of the Church of North India, Moderator- The Most Revd. Dr. Prem Chand Singh, Deputy Moderator- The Rt. Revd Dr. Probal Kanto Dutta, General Secretary- Mr. Alwan Masih and Honorary. Treasurer -Mr. Jayant Agarwal; for all the Bishops and Presbyters.
- Kindly pray for various interventions and programs of the Church of North India
- Kindly pray for the upcoming meetings of the Church of North India